New rarity, part upgrade rework and balance changes. Mass testing
Hello there, survivors!
We continue to reveal the details of the upcoming big update. Today we will tell you about the new rarity in the game and how the mechanics of upgrading parts familiar to most players will change.
Please note that all the features described in this blog are preliminary and may still be changed before the final release on the game servers. You can familiarize yourself with all the planned changes on a special test server!
Let's start with one of the possible questions — why does the game need a new rarity?
We examined the progress of new players and the speed with which they receive new parts. Studies have shown that for a new player, the transition from “rare” to a more effective part (“epic”) is too long and not the easiest. We would like it to be easier for players to increase the efficiency of their armoured cars and get new details on the way to their “epic” and “legendary” versions.
In the next major update, the “special” rarity will be added to the game. It will add seven new parts to the game:
- Machine gun
- Turret cannon
- Course gun
Some of the current “rare” parts, which in our opinion correspond to the “special” rarity, will also be transferred to it. In the “elite” factions (“Steppenwolfs”, “Dawn's children” and “Firestarters”), all “rare” parts will change their rarity to “special”.
The assortment of workbenches of “special” rarity can be studied today with the launch of a special test server. The parameters of those parts are temporary and may be changed later.
Why would introducing a new rarity between “rare” and “epic” benefit the game?
- Players who are just starting their journey in Crossout will be able to quickly craft new, more efficient parts, and the process of moving from one rarity to another will become easier, more diverse and more interesting.
- Those parts whose rarity has changed will become more efficient. And this is good both for experienced players who already have these parts, and for those who have just thought of extending their collection for playing at average PS. Well, of course, five completely new parts will be added that you can craft and test in battle!
With the advent of the new rarity, crafting recipes will also change. Some of the recipes may already be changed on the test server, but keep in mind that they may be not final.
Please pay attention: the number of parts included in the crafting recipes will be changed so that the total production cost will not change in any way.
You can familiarize yourself with all changes in rarities on a special test server.
Part upgrade rework
In the next update, we also plan to rework part upgrades. We took into account your comments on weak or unhelpful upgrade bonuses and offer you an updated version of the mechanic: so that the upgraded part really compares favorably with the usual one, now you will receive several random bonuses for one upgrade. Bonuses themselves will not be weaker than those that are presented in the game now, and some are planned to be strengthened a little. Armed with the luck that somehow accompanies each survivor, you can upgrade the part to the one whose set of improvements will meet your needs.
A complete list of possible upgrades for each part can be found in the game.
Let us dwell in more detail on the mechanics:
- You select the part you want to upgrade and select the appropriate item in its options.
- Add two more of the same parts to start the upgrade. Before that, you can also view all possible bonus options from upgrading this part.
- Start the upgrade and get 2 to 3 bonuses from the list. In this case, the player receives one bonus from each group in the list.
- Bonuses, as before, are randomly selected.
- The amount of bonuses received is predetermined. This means that if you got 2 bonuses when upgrading a part, then with a second upgrade, their number cannot increase.
- When you upgrade the same part again, several random bonuses will be selected again. Some bonuses may repeat those that have already been applied in a previous upgrade.
- With the repeated upgrade of the part, you can make a choice: leave the previous bonuses or accept new ones. Parts spent on upgrades will not be returned in any case.
For all players who already have upgraded parts, the current bonus on each part will be saved and will be slightly strengthened. When you upgrade the same part again, you will already receive several bonuses, but all of them will be standard.
Here is an example:
- You had a “Vector” machine gun with an upgrade of 10% to overheating time.
- After the update, the upgrade will automatically increase to +12% (final values may change).
- Repeated upgrades of the same “Vector” will replace the previous improvement with random bonuses from the list of possible.
In a future update, we also plan to make the change that many survivors have proposed. We are going to revise the principle by which the amount of energy in the cabins is determined.
Now the amount of energy in a particular cabin will depend on its rarity:
- “Base”: 8 energy.
- “Common”: 9 energy.
- “Rare”: 10 energy.
- “Special”: 11 energy.
- “Epic”: 12 energy.
At the same time, we plan to adjust the parameters of the cabins so that they better correspond to the role conceived for them. Updated parameters of all cabins can be tested on a special server.
What are the reasons for such changes?
We agree with the majority of our players, and we are not comfortable with the current situation, in which the player’s choice most often stops exclusively on “light” cabins. The choice is clear — more energy with a relatively small model and characteristics that are convenient for creating almost any vehicle. Now the choice will not be limited by the amount of energy provided, and the parameters of the cabs will better reflect their belonging to a certain type of cars.
In order to try the updated upgrade mechanics and test cabin changes we hand out 7 new weapons of “special” rarity and all the “rare”, “special” and “epic” cabins.
Please, pay attention that after the test is finished on Sunday, all the accounts ON THE TEST SERVER will be reset. During the next test you’ll be able to use the “Copy account data” button and copy your account from the live server to the test one.
Rework of blast damage effects on radars
Today we also offer you the opportunity to test the modified mechanics of interaction between explosive projectiles and radars. In many ways, it is similar to what is now used for explosive projectiles and decor:
- Radars no longer absorb damage from an explosion caused by a projectile hitting them.
- When it hits, the projectile deals some damage to the radar, flies through it, and the blast and the damage from the blast passes through the nearest parts to the radar, following the path of the projectile's flight.
- The explosion occurs either after contact with a structural part or, if there are no structural parts on the projectile's flight path, the last radar in the projectile's path.
- Weapon perks are still triggered by contact with radars. That is, the very fact of hitting an armoured vehicle counts (when, for example, only the radar is in the path of the projectile and there are no other parts behind it).
- Exploding shells of the “Phoenix” crossbow still attach to the radar if they hit it and the same radar is the epicenter of the explosion.
Hover balance tweaks
We are sure that many of you already know about the so-called “Side-flyers”. These are vehicles in which, due to non-standard assembly, mechanics of strafe and reassignment of control buttons, efficiency and protection are seriously increased. Statistics invariably confirm the superiority of such armoured vehicles over conventional hover vehicles.
We would like cars with hovers to be effective precisely in the classic assemblies, for which this chassis was thought and did not force the player to resort to various tricks. Therefore, armed with your and our own ideas, we are ready to present a test version of the changes designed to balance the current situation:
- Armoured car acceleration during strafe is reduced by 25% for both hovers.
- The flight altitude of cars with both types of hovers is reduced by 14%.
- Durability of Icarus IV and Icarus VII is increased by 30%:
- “Icarus IV”: from 160 to 208 pts.
- “Icarus VII”: from 135 to 176 pts.
Today we plan to launch a test server where you can familiarize yourself with the changes described in this developer blog and share your opinion in a special thread.
See you in the new blogs!
Please note, that changes, described in this blog, are still a work in progress. Many things (parts parameters, production recipes, etc.) still may be changed till the update is released.
How to get to the test server?
If you have already participated in testing on a special server, then it will be enough to start the Launcher from the folder with the test client and wait for the update to complete.
- Create a new folder for the game on your hard drive.
- Download the Launcher from this link. The file name should not contain numbers indicating that the file is a duplicate. Please note that you should launch the file that does not contain any digits (1), (2), etc. in its name. If, when starting the installed launcher, you get to the live game servers, you need to delete all downloaded launchers from the download folder and try again.
- Start the Launcher and install the game to the folder you created (for example: D:\Public test\Crossout).
- After the installation is complete, start the Launcher and enter the game with your username and password.
- The whole progress of your main account will be transferred to the main server (including parts in storage and levels of reputation in factions).
- After logging in to the server to transfer the progress from your account, you must press the “Esc” key and select “Copy account data”.
- Please note the schedule of the test server:
- Friday, January 17, 2020: from 15:00 to 19:00 (GMT time)
- Saturday, January 18, 2020 from 15:00 to 18:00 (GMT)
- Sunday, January 19, 2020 from 15:00 to 18:00 (GMT)
- Any progress you make on the test server will not be transferred to the live game servers (INCLUDING ATTEMPTS TO BUY PACKS).
After testing the changes, we invite you to leave your constructive feedback on the planned rework in THIS THREAD (it will open a bit later after the launch of the test server).
You may leave your bug reports regarding all the issues you’ve encountered on the test server HERE.
The public test server is intended only for testing of the upcoming update, and may not accommodate all players without exception. However, absolutely anyone can join the server, as long as there are free spots.